Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toy store in KC, ca 1959-1961

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Businesses in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeriPettit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Toy store in KC, ca 1959-1961 Reply with quote

There was a small toy store in downtown Kansas City in the late 50's, early 60's, located in a basement, where you entered by going down outside steps from the sidewalk and entering at a door that was set below street level. It had two or three separate rooms, I think three, and was tightly packed with shelves, so close together that it was hard for two people to squeeze past each other.

I think, although I might be misremembering, that it sold a lot of imported toys. It was not the typical mass marketed toys. When I was seven years old (1961), I got a tray of 100 water colors there, which I think were made in England.

Does anybody else remember that toy store and know what its name was, and/or what the street address was? If anyone has a Yellow Pages from the era, that might help identify it.

I lived in Liberty from 1959 through 1962. We moved to New Mexico when I was eight years old, so I have no idea if that toy store stayed in business past 1962 or not.

Possibly it was not really the area officially called "downtown", but it was in some neighborhood that to a child from the suburbs seemed very like the downtown of a big city. It was definitely not in a shopping center.

I think it carried the name of the family who owned it, maybe Anderson's or Alexander's or something like that, although since it was 49 years ago and I was only 7 and only went there two or three times, my memory on the name could be completely off. I know I would still recognize it if I were to run back time and see it the way it looked then, though.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking Yellow Pages...
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything obvious. Will post the Toys results from a 1960 Yellow Pages in a bit.
TeriPettit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for checking.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is going to help much. Here are the downtownish listings from the 1960 directory:

Falk Joe Toy Store - 16 West 12th
Marywood Toy Mart - 10210 East Truman Road
Vincent J E Co - 1325 Main
Bernhard Henry & Co - 910 Broadway
Bernstein Max & Son - 906 Broadway
Cramer Wholesale Drug Company - 310 West 9th
Fiits Dry Goods Co. - 407 West 8th
Howell Marks & McCormack - 2556 McGee
Laner Distributing Company - 2905 Brooklyn
McClurg A C & Compnay - Coates House
Midwest Merchandise Importers - 1008 Broadway
Original Toy And Jobbing - 303 West 9th
Playthings Inc. - 1808 Main
Poindexter And Sons - 801 Broadway
Santa Fe Whistle - 1310 Main
South-West News Co. - 2501 West Pennway
Toy-Co - 1620 McGee
Zeff Company - 306 West 9th
TeriPettit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.

Maybe some other baby boomer who drops by will read the query and recognize the description. There can't have been very many stores with no street level entrance. I was hoping one of the Yellow Pages ads might mention the basement entry, since it is unusual.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri,

You are right. Someone will eventually wander by and recognize the store from your description.

By the way, my family tree is also crowded with Pettits & Petitts.
TeriPettit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, maybe we're distant cousins. Any Kentucky ties to your Pettits?

My genealogy database has three Thompson bride/Pettit groom marriages, but none the other way.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only produced Pettits/Petitts from VA. I've only gone back a few generations. I'll be polite to you just in case we are related.
FJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Dowtown Toys Reply with quote

I remember a small shop in a basement, but no toys, only books. This would have been circa 1972 and I remember it being near 8th and Broadway. Don't remember a name.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled on to this site while searching the internet for Midwest Merchandise, my family's long time business, whose last location was 1008 Broadway across from the Coates House Hotel. I found Midwest Merchandise listed in one of the other responses to the original querry. I am pretty certain the business referred to was Kansas City Carnival Supply, one of our competitors, which was located on a NW corner on the same side of the street farther north on Broadway, either 8th or 9th and Broadway. I know the building when I see it but I don't get downtown often enough anymore to recall it from memory. I do seem to remember going down the steps to enter that business in the 50's and 60's as a child. I believe the owner's name was Eldon Klein. They later moved and built a new building at 85th and Troost across from the old Stroud's location.

After my grandfather passed away, my dad continued the business for a few years and then retired before I was out of high school. He sold the building to the Bonino family, long time owners of the Quaff Buffet which was also located in the building which occupied Midwest Merchandise. The Quaff then expanded into the rest of the front part of the first floor.

Another interesting point about the building was that you can still see bricked in arch ways in the basement that I was told were part of an undergroung tunnel for used by pedestrians coming from the Coates House Hotel to the Coates Opera House down the street during inclement weather. The building also has a sub-basement which I thought was pretty spooky as a child. One of my chores was to occassionaly go to the sub-basement and sweep the floor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Businesses in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: