Vintage Amusements
Instant Access to Pictures
Music in KCMO
Scans of KS & MO Concert Tickets
Contact
Vintage KS & MO Yearbooks for Sale
Pictures from Kansas & Missouri Yearbooks

Search Website
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Restaurants in Kansas City
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich N Famous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Smaks Reply with quote

The forum description mentions Smaks, but I did not find a Smaks topic. Apologies if I've missed an existing topic.

But, what I want to find out is whether there are any surviving Smaks locations.
dt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnF,

I don't think that they are still around. It appears that most of the Smaks Restaurant images in the gallery are from the 1970s-very early 1980s. I did check the most recent phone book that I have (1981) and there were still several restaurants around at that time.
Rich N Famous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dt

Thanks for the reply.

I was doing some searching elsewhere and found this reference on "Road Food" http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=484816&high=smaks

Someone on the thread (bill voss) included a picture of a Smaks fried pie package. http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=484834

Seems from the comments here that Smaks was taken over by McDonalds or some other chain sometime in the 80s. http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=530759
Moose Hatrack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the last Smak's I remember was in the Prairie Village shopping center. When Smacky went belly up, I think a Wendy's opened in the same space. Now it's Einstein Bros. as I drive by in street view.
The earliest Smaks I remember was south of 75th & Metcalf. It was a freestanding restaurant on the west side of Metcalf. There was an early MaDonalds south of it, and the McDonalds (several architectural generations later) is still there. That Smacks became a Burger King, and now it looks like a strip mall has grown up there.
Another freestanding Smaks was located at 95th and Mission on the northeast corner.
These are mere rambling recollections, please don't base any life or death decisions on this information!
Rich N Famous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Smaks Reply with quote

Moose -

Thanks for the reply.

The location I remember going to was on Rainbow south of 39th, around the corner from KU Med Center.

But, here's something else totally off the wall...Smaky the Seal. What does a seal have to do with hamburgers? Or Kansas City? I mean, you can't get anymore inland than KC. The only seals in the area were in Swope Park zoo.

Oh well, if everything made sense, there wouldn't be any nonsense and that wouldn't be any fun.
Moose Hatrack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I do not want to think seals had anything to do with hamburgers! Maybe they chose Smaky because seal puppets are easy to make?
Remember the sign? White letters on a red splotch? Maybe it was meant to be a splotch of ketchup. The McDonalds sign is still red and yellow... ketchup and mustard? Billions of dollars in market research and focus groups to come up with ketchup and mustard?
Uncle Planty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: The Smaks Mascot. Reply with quote

Guys! Guys! Guys! Surprised

The Smaks Mascot was Smaky the Seal! And why a seal? Why, he wasn't any ORDINARY seal...! Cool

He was "The SEAL Of Approval"! (Get it?!) Rolling Eyes

OMG, now I want a Hickory Burger and a Pizza Burger...! LOL Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OldKC.com Forum Index -> Restaurants in Kansas City All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: